The distance to drive from Utrecht (NL) is about 1300 km.
You can fly to Ljubljana airport, Brnik. At the airport you can rent a car. You can also travel further by public transport but many houses are not directly accessible by public transport. A car is therefore highly recommended.
To reach your accommodation, we advise you to be well prepared and always have a GPS (or app on phone) with you.
Slovenia is half the size of the Netherlands and has less than two million inhabitants. The average temperature in the months of July, August and September is 24 degrees Celcius The country is also called the green lungs of Europe because of the enormous amount of forests that are freely accessible and partly responsible for the clean air that you breathe here. Hiking and mountain biking are national sports in Slovenia and are practiced by large parts of the population. Should you encounter them, they will greet you with a friendly “Dobber Dan” (hello).
Eating out in Slovenia
In Slovenia, eating out is cheaper than in the known vacation countries. Good and cheap food can be found in the local restaurants, especially the Postervi (trout), Cevabcici and Racnici which are specialities in Slovenia. It should be noted that the main course and side dishes must often be ordered separately. In most restaurants the menu is also available in English and German. The Malica (lunch) and Kosilo (dinner) are very popular and attractively priced in Slovenia, as well as all kinds of pizzas.
What to do in the Savinja Valley?
- Horseback riding with a guide or a ride in a carriage with two horses in front of it
- Paragliding from Golte or the Raduha
- kayaking and rafting on the Savinja
- Trout fishing in the Savinja -Dreta – or in one of the trout ponds
- Visit to the ice cave (Snezna Jama) in Luce
- flower park “Mozirski Gay”
- Churches in Gorni Grad, St. Janz and Gora Olka.
- Caves of Postonja (90 km) and the caves in Sempeter and Skorno.
- Castles in Velenje, Celje and Nazarje
- Visit to Ljubljana or Maribor both at about 50 km
- Various museums and galleries in Celje
- Mining museum and museum castle in Velenje
- Motor museum and fire museum in Vransko
- Visit to the famous town of Bled with its famous lake, 80 km away
- Wandering in the beautifull nature park “Logarska dolina”
- Swimming in one of the thermal baths in the area.